Loansome Doc is a method of ordering articles for the users of the National Library of Medicine’s PubMed. When searching PubMed, a user may place orders from libraries that participate in the Loansome Doc program.
If you are a VCU faculty, staff, student or Health System employee, use ILLiad instead of Loansome Doc. Members of the Community Memorial Hospital in South Hill, VA, may use Loansome Doc to submit requests and are not charged for this service.
To Register for Loansome Doc
Part I. VCU Registration
A. Choose the category from the list below that describes you.
- Corporate/Commercial Users: users requesting materials for their for-profit business
- Health Care Professionals: users requesting materials for patient care, medical and clinical research
- Residents/Individuals: users requesting materials for personal use
B. Complete the VCU registration form.
You will receive the VCU identification code you'll need for the second part of the registration.
Part 2: NLM Loansome Doc Registration
A. Complete NLM's Loansome Doc Registration form.
B. Note your preferred method of delivery.
C. Use the VCU identification code from part 1 for both the library identifier and your authorization code.
Using Loansome Doc
- While reviewing your PubMed search results, you may select articles you want to request.
- The National Library of Medicine sends information on you and your articles to VCU Libraries.
- We retrieve requests daily, Monday through Friday.
- If we own the article, we will fill the request within two business days.
- If we do not own the article, we will use the NLM's interlibrary loan system to get the article from another library. The article may be sent directly to you by the other library. Therefore, delivery times may vary. Corporate users are not eligible for this service.
- You may receive your items in one of the following ways (as selected on your registration form).
- Electronic delivery
- USPS First Class mail
- Pick up at the Tompkins-McCaw or James Branch Cabell Library service desk
|Type of User
||Cost per Request
|Health Care Professionals
|Additional charges for fax or Rush request
- VCU Libraries reserves the right to double the charges for copies over 30 pages.
- Invoices will be mailed to the address you provided on your registration form.
- Pay with cash, credit card or check.