A number of VCU Libraries resources are available to help you and your students in developing and executing multimodal assignments:
Innovative Media Department
email@example.com or 804-827-3594
Found in the lower level of Cabell Library's new addition, IM offers a range of services:
- Circulating media creation equipment - Students and faculty can check out still and video cameras, audio recorders, green screen and lights, tripods, microphones, and other equipment. See the complete list. Equipment loans are for three days with the possibility of one renewal. The equipment is first-come, first-served and cannot be reserved.
- Support for capture and editing of media files - The department boasts a number of Mac and PC workstations with hardware and software for video and audio work, 3D modeling, and more; coming online in spring semester 2016 will be a video recording studio (with 4K cameras) and an audio recording studio.
- Staff expertise - Three full-time employees plus a host of student workers stand ready to help you with everything from using equipment to classroom instruction to planning your curriculum.
- Emerging technology - Visit the department's makerspace to experience hands-on creative technologies such as 3D printing, 3D scanning, a laser cutter, and a tabletop 3D carver.
Don't hesitate to contact these librarians for help with developing your multimodal assignments:
Other library guides
These guides, prepared by VCU Libraries staff, are likely to prove useful when developing multimodal assignments:
These and many, many other guides to all kinds of topics are available on our Guides page.
VCU provides access to a number of online tools and tutorials that will help students learn the software related to creation of multimodal projects. Check this to find tutorials on particular software packages or tips on how to get started with digital storytelling, 3D design, or more.
- Lynda.com - short, just-in-time video tutorials, as well as “playlists” for more in-depth learning, across a wide variety of topics--from software suites such as Adobe and Microsoft Office, to website platforms like WordPress, to professional and career development resources.