Renew Items Borrowed from VCU Libraries Collections
If you have a VCU eID:
If you do not have a VCU eID:
- Reply to the email "Courtesy Reminder" or the "Item Due Today" notices to request a renewal. A staff member will contact you with a renewal due date, or
- Call 804-828-1111 to request a renewal.
- Using a form
If the item still cannot be renewed, Ask Us.
To renew you must:
- Have a current (unexpired) library record.
- Have no blocks for fees, fines or services or overdue materials.
- Follow the rules for the number of renewals allowed depending upon your borrowing status.
Renew Items from Other Libraries
Interlibrary Loan Materials
- Check the information printed on the label that covers the item to determine if it can be renewed. Loan periods and policies will vary depending on the lending library. Sometimes renewal requests are denied even when the band indicates that the item is renewable.
- You can only renew items within the 14 days before the due date.
- Items that are overdue cannot be renewed.
- Interlibrary loan items cannot be renewed by staff at the circulation desks in the libraries.
- Interlibrary loan items are limited to one renewal at the discretion of the lending library.
- If the item cannot be renewed, return it and submit another request. We will attempt to borrow the item from another library. Also, submit a purchase suggestion if you believe this item should be included in the VCU Libraries collection.
- Log in to your ILLiad account.
- Look in the “Checked Out Items” section.
- Select the transaction number for the item you want to renew.
- Select “Renew Request” in the upper left of the screen.
You'll get an email with the new due date when your item has been renewed. If the lending library denies the renewal request, you'll be asked to return the item.
Local libraries and museums
Renewal practices varies from library to library. If you borrowed materials in person from a local library, contact that library to determine renewal options.