Organize and name files meaningfully.
What makes sense for you:
- File type
- Type of analysis
Use file naming conventions for related files
- Be consistent
- Short yet descriptive
- Avoid spaces and special characters
Possible elements for file names:
- Project/grant name and/or number.
- Date of creation: useful for version control, e.g. YYYYMMDD
- Name of creator/investigator: last name first followed by (initials of) first name.
- Name of research team/department associated with the data.
- Description of content/subject descriptor.
- Data collection method (instrument, site, etc.).
- Version number.
Use open file formats for long term storage of data: Some file formats are less susceptible to obsolescence than others
- pick TXT over DOCX
- CSV over XSLX
- TIF over JPG