Use the VCU Libraries Search box (above) to find books, recordings, scores, DVDs, and other music collections of VCU Libraries. Music materials can be located by title, composer, performer, instrumentation, type of composition, recording label or number, publisher number, or material type.
Advanced Search offers the best option for music search success.
1. Limit your search by Material Type, but remember that limiting by format may also exlude other formats. Example, a CD format search for Bob Dylan excludes documentaries and performances DVDs.
Tip: for results which includes scores, recordings, and videos:
2. Avoid "Author/Creator" or "Title" limiters for comprehensive music searches. Musical works and musicians may be listed within the "Contents" section of the bibliographic record, not within the "title" or "author" section. This is particularly important for short works, Jazz, or popular music!
3. Truncation. The * character (asterisk) can be placed at the left, right or middle of a portion of a word.
4. Break generic titles into a number of keyword elements
Example: Pachelbel's work titled "Canon, violin (3), continuo, in D major" can be searched using different elements of the title.
Pachelbel AND canon results in 115 hits; Pachelbel AND canon AND violin results in 53 hits.
5. Music opus or work numbers: search with and without the number; or try searches with both numbers. Also, look for the number within a sequence or collected works collection. Remember, an opus number is not the same as the work number.
Example: Beethoven's Symphony no. 9 is his opus no. 125.
6. Search foreign titles in both English and their original language (uniform title).
Example: Vivaldi's Cimento dell'amrmonia e dellinventione (Italian) finds more productions: The four seasons (English), Le quattro stagioni (French), and Die vier jahreszeiten (German) productions
7. Language Limiter features can assist in searching for translations or alternative arrangements of scores, performances or librettos. There is a pull down box for English and our most popular languages. You can also use Refine My Results / Language.
If you can't find the book, article, video, or dissertation that you want at VCU, try these resources to find what you need.